We hope you’ve been enjoying the new year! If you still have new year resolutions in mind, we have the perfect suggestion for you -- that’s potentially one of the best and easiest health resolutions you can have: getting a physical.
What’s a physical?
Good question. An annual physical is a routine physical exam that happens at your doctor’s office, where they evaluate and check on your overall health.
What happens in a physical?
There are some variations in each physical, but the majority of them include the following:
- Updating your health history: documenting any changes in your health and medications.
- Vital sign checks: checking your blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing.
- Visual exam: this includes checking your eyes, head, chest, abdomen and nervous system functions to make sure nothing is amiss.
- Physical exam: a provider will examine your nose, eyes, ears, mouth. They will also listen to your heart and lungs and test your motor functions.
- Lab tests: your provider may want to have to take some blood tests to further check your health and make sure you are healthy. Some blood tests, like a complete metabolic panel, which tests your blood plasma and can indicate any issues that exist in your kidneys, liver, blood chemistry, and immune system. There are also several other blood tests a doctor may deem necessary, depending on your health profile.
- Screening tests: Depending on your health and your lifestyle, a doctor may want to conduct some screening tests. Although some tests vary depending on your gender, most doctors will conduct screenings for the following on everyone: sexually transmitted diseases, depression, diabetes, lung and colon cancer, and HIV.
- Vaccinations: A provider will also take a look at your medical history and give you necessary vaccinations, like a tetanus shot.
Why should you get an annual physical?
For starters, most insurances cover the cost of an annual physical. Which means getting a physical can be very low cost for you, but have a big impact on your health. Secondly, having an annual physical done is a great way to take care of your health and make sure you’re healthy. And if you find your physical yields less than positive results, your doctor can help you take the steps you need to get healthy. Thirdly, an annual physical is a great way to practice preventative care. By having a physical done each year, you can help detect a potential health issue before it gets worse -- and in the long run, it may also save you some money.
There are many other reasons why you should commit to getting a physical done each year, but the biggest takeaway we want you to have is that it’s easy and can have a very positive impact on your overall well being. So, get started and schedule your physical!
How Apicha CHC can help
At Apicha CHC, we offer annual physicals for our patients. If you’re interested in scheduling a physical, call 866-274-2429 or click here. If you have more questions about becoming a new patient, click here for more information.