LGBTQ+ APIs: You are seen. You are valid. You are loved.
In recent years, there has started to be more visbility around LGBTQ+ Asian and Pacific Islanders in mainstream media, which is absolutely something to be celebrated. However, we still have a long way to go as far as making our LGBTQ+ API community feel fully seen and heard, both publicly and in their personal lives.
Unfortunately, there is still a great deal of stigma around LGBTQ+ people across the Asian and Pacific Islander diasporas. While there is a wide array of different identities and experiences throughout the API Community, and it should not be painted as a monolith, some common themes of homophobia and transphobia have deeply woven themselves into these communities.
To our LGBTQ+ Asian and Pacific Islander community: You are seen. You are valid. You are loved. Below are some resources for our LGBTQ+ API community.
Resource Kits for LGBTQ+ API Folks
- GLAAD API Resource Kit
- APIQWTC Resource Kit
- Asian American Psychological Association Resource Kit
- It Gets Better Project Resource Kit
- PFLAG Resource Kit for API Families
- Coming Out: Living Authentically as LGBTQ+ APIs - HRC
Apicha's LGBTQ+ API Blogs
- 7 Queer AAPI Books About Mental Health
- Why National API HIV/AIDS Awareness Day Matter
- 6 LGBTQ+ API Films to Watch This Month
- 5 LGBTQ+ API Pioneers to Celebrate
- LGBTQ+ API Pioneers to Celebrate This National API Heritage Month
- Resources For & About Asian Hate Crimes
- Mental Health Tips for Coping With Anti-Asian Violence
API NYC Queer & Trans Organizations:
- Gay Asian & Pacific Islander Men of New York (@GAPIMNY)
- Korean Queer & Trans National Network (@KQTXNYC)
- Q Wave (@QWAVENYC)
- National Asian & Pacific American Women's Forum NYC (@NAPAWFNYC)
- Salga NYC (@SALGANYC)
- PFLAG (@PFLAG)
- Bubble_T (@Bubble_T)
- Desi Rainbow Parents (@desirainbowparents)
- Queer Asian Social Club (@queerasiansocialclub)
- Marigold Seeds Collective (marigoldseedscollective)
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (@nqapia)
- Asian Pacific Islander Queer Women & Trans Community (@APIQWTC)