A big part of being healthy is staying active and having a happy, productive lifestyle. Did you know that New York is the most desired travel location in the world for the LGBT community? There is virtually no end to the fun adventures waiting to be had!
iloveNY.com has the latest scoop on all there is to do in The Big Apple. Whether you want to explore the great outdoors, stay out all night or relax with some local wine and cuisine, iloveNY.com is your comprehensive guide to all there is to do in the world's #1 LGBT travel destination.
Do you have all the vaccines you need for your vacation abroad? Request an appointment
Unique Highlights from Each Category
While you’ll have to check out the site for the full list of activities, we wanted to share with you some of our favorite highlights!
- Regional Highlights: the Thousand Islands – Seaway. Not only is the surrounding scenery beautiful, but this region is home to two full-scale island castles which you can visit!
- Arts and Culture: New York is home to the world’s first and only gay art museum – The Leslie+Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art.
- Great OUTdoors: While Niagara Falls usually gets first billing for waterside adventures, don’t count out the Finger Lakes and their gorgeous countryside. Take a wine tour and enjoy world-class leaf peeping in the fall!
- Shopping: It’s no secret that New York is home to one or two shopping destinations. If antiques are your thing, take a drive down the Bloomfield Antique Country Mile which is the main hub for antiquing in central New York.
- Food & Drink: venture out to Rochester NY where you will find what has been deemed the best farmers market in the country. The Rochester Public Market features tons of fresh produce and a variety of unique eateries.
- Path Trough History: New York is a history enthusiast's dream and you don’t have to go far to start exploring its fascinating past. Take a trip to the Museum of the Moving Image to immerse yourself in the evolution of film, television and digital media.
- Relaxation: Mohonk Mountain House is a historic, Victorian-castle resort that is bound to help you let off some steam. Whether you want to stay in for some exquisite dining or some indulgent spa time or explore the beauty of mother nature, this place gets an A for relaxation.
- Special Events: New York is home to countless Pride/LGBT events including The Center’s annual June Garden Party, the USA’s only LGBT tasting festival.
- Wedding Guide: iloveny.com has tons of wedding resources spanning from actually securing the wedding certificate to post-wedding plans. One company, World Yacht, will even take you on a luxurious boat to celebrate right in the heart of New York Harbor.
- Family Fun: New York offers family-friendly attractions during all seasons of the year. Check out the Headless Horseman Hayride and many other of the top haunted attractions in the country for some spooky family fun.
- Nightlife: it is hard to imagine New York without the nightlife! It sports tons of LGBT-friendly spots including Julius’, the oldest gay bar in town.
Share Your Favorite Activities
Of course we are only skimming the top of the iceberg with this list. There are many more locations, events and activities waiting to be unveiled!
Let us know why you think New York is the #1 LGBT travel destination, whether it’s from the iloveny.com list, your own favorite pastime or a brand new discovery!