Apicha Community Health Center offers Nutrition Health Education as part of its HIV Care for all of its HIV-positive patients.
Our Nutrition Health Education program provides patients with food vouchers with additional focus on nutritional education.
In this program, HIV-positive patients are given nutritional assessment and Individual Nutrition Education and Group Nutrition Education. The nutrition education is provided based on several curriculums developed by Apicha CHC as per AIDS Institute guidelines and supplemented by a nutritional handbook developed by Apicha CHC.
This guidebook contains recipes from a variety of cultures from Asia, and is available in English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Vietnamese, and Thai, ensuring that the program is accessible to a number of our target populations.
The program is designed to empower patients to take control of their health behaviors and encourages them to eat healthier foods, adhere to health appointments and treatments, and exercise on a routine basis. One-hundred-and-one clients received education through the Nutrition Health Education Program, in 2014.
This program offers a number of free services:
- Monthly Food Voucher (up to $90)
- Monthly Food Voucher for Children (up to $40)
- Nutritious Food (for Nutrition Education Workshop attendes)
- Monthly Health Newsletter and Events Calendar
- Individual Nutrition Education
- Nutrition Education Workshop
Learn from our experts how to:
- Deal with medication side-effects for food consumed
- Purchase healthy food on a budget to keep your body strong
- Manage symptoms with appropriate food choices
- Connect with health care and social services
If you're HIV Positive, living in New York City and looking for a health care provider, call 646-572-2264 or click below. To see a list of Apicha CHC's other services, click here.